Tuesday, October 2, 2007

FOF Progress

As I mentioned the other day we are working with the ANC Youth League to help tutor students in a nearby township, Guguletu, on Saturdays. Well last Saturday was our first time and we managed to make plenty of friends-over-fifteen. They are all really nice boys and girls who don't mind humoring us and letting us practice or Xhosa with them. They even gave us all Xhosa names.

My Xhosa name is "Thulisa," since that's what they thought I was saying when I introduced myself. "Thulisa," in Xhosa means "silent one." I'll leave you to judge whether it was an appropriate choice.

Anyways, we didn't get much tutoring done as the program is still getting organized, but we did hang out in the school courtyard for awhile, where all of our friends seemed to have an amazing 10+ Xhosa song repertoire, complete with dancing/clapping routines. We stumbled around and tried to follow them but my attempts were pretty abysmal.

Later that night the boys called us up and picked us up in the Student Council Van (pretty sure that's not allowed...) and took us to the campus bar/club hang out, The Barn. After that we went to a nearby Shebeen to get alcohol (Shebeens are homes that sell alcohol after hours, since stores don't sell alcohol after 5 or so. Some Shebeens are legal, some are not. Shebeens are a little sketch but we were with a bunch of locals so it was fine), and then we hung out in one of the students dorms and had a dance party part two. It's a little embarrassing how bad of dancers we are compared to our new friends, but they were pretty nice about it.

Overall the night was random and awkward and a little crazy but it was definitely fun and I'm glad we're starting to branch out more.

No comments: